Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Professional Engineer Q&A: Program Accreditation

The first step - get a Degree!

With the satisfactory academic results and compliance to physical health requirements (note - color blindness might find immediate challenge in Chemical and Electrical), you can apply for the engineering course of interest in the selected institution of higher learning.

Please check if the course and institution of choice is accredited. The source to check is, specifically but not limited to:-

(i) Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) http://www.eac.org.my/web/
(ii) Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) http://www.bem.org.my/v3/listofaccreditedprogrammes.html
(iii) Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) http://www.myiem.org.my

As globalisation wave ripples across, it is not unusual for you to work in more than one country throughout your career. With no discrimination to the degree awarded by the institution of higher learning and possibly not legally mandatory, there might be local regulations in the country of employment that will require accreditation compliance before you can be work in the capacity of an engineer. It is therefore not premature to research meticulously into the subject at this stage.

What’s up Undergraduate?!

Now that you're an engineering undergraduate, capitalise on your carefree time as a student to gain maximum exposure to various engineering related activities that will give you a glimpse of what lies ahead. Registering as a student member with an established learned institution, such as IEM, will keep you abreast of the various talk and visits within your vicinity. For a very small fee and annual subscription, one immediately holds the key that opens you to endless network of contacts and bodies of knowledge. You will be motivated by all the exciting stories of senior practicing engineers and they might even give you good tips to avoid common pitfalls more young graduates tend to make.

Stay tune for more post on Professional Engineer Q&A every week.

No comments: